My dear Glenelg UMC family,
I write to you today with that unique blend of deep sorrow and yet joyful anticipation of opportunity and new days ahead that often accompanies times of transition. On July 1, I will begin a new season of ministry as the associate pastor of First UMC of Northville, Michigan. My last Sunday in worship with you will be June 3rd. From there, I will work to accomplish a move to a new state, change my license plates (pray that Michigan’s DMV is easier and kinder), find a new grocery store and get John Wesley and Tay settled into a new environment.
These times of pastoral transition are deeply sorrowful and come with some degree of “what will happen next.” Because of this challenging time of pandemic, I know the timing of this announcement is even more difficult to receive. I also know there is no “good or easy” time to part ways with those you love, as I have come to love you.
In spite of the inability to be together face to face, we will find times and ways to process through our final months together and to pray for God’s will to continue to be deeply found at GUMC. You are a congregation to whom much has been given and entrusted. May you continue to live into that with strength and courage, and a love for all people who find their way to you.
Yours for the journey,
Even though we are separated physically, we can still feel together the spirit of Lent and the Easter season. Many around us are suffering financially due to the pandemic we face, so the need for our food pantry is stronger than ever. To that end, we are continuing our tradition of Easter dedications that are used to support the food pantry and those it serves with Walmart gift cards. Each dedication (gift card) is $10.
You have two options for transmitting the form and the money:
- Fill in the dedication form at the above link, including those you are honoring, and separately mail check made out to “GUMC” by April 4th, to Craig Lee at 3308 Strabane Dr., Glenelg 21737. This option is preferred so we have time to get the list of those you are honoring into the Easter bulletin.
- Print out the form 2020 Easter Dedications and mail it with your check payable to “GUMC” by April 4th to Craig Lee at the address above.
The Glenelg United Methodist Church invites you to join our community of love and fellowship as we gather together online every evening at 8pm for a short time of prayer. If you are unable to join us, but would like us to pray for you or someone else, please feel free to email a prayer request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“No trials nor tribulations shall defeat us in our love for one another and our love for God.” Rev. Alice K. Ford
Online Evening prayer (via Zoom): https://zoom.us/j/193595926
or phone: +16468769923 with Meeting ID: 193 595 926
Our doors may be temporarily closed, but our hearts and minds are always open. You are always welcome.
The people of Glenelg UMC
We hope you are well during these challenging times. As you all know, we are strongly encouraged by both the governor and our bishop to distance ourselves physically from people to slow the rate of infection of the Coronavirus. Thus, face-to-face worship and fellowship at Glenelg United Methodist Church are postponed until further notice. We all have our own unique personal concerns during this time so if you have any challenges you would like to bring to Pastor Alice, please contact her. We understand that some may be impacted financially by this pandemic, and our thoughts and prayers go out to you. The church is willing to support you in any way it can. Giving from the heart of our treasures is one of the key elements of Christian discipleship, so if you are able to continue your tithes and offerings, you are encouraged to give in one of the following ways:
To give electronically:
- Click here -OR- go to glenelgumc.org, click and click on Online Giving
- That takes you to VANCO’s secure website. (VANCO is recommended by the General Conference of the United Methodist Church)
- Enter your contribution amount in General Operating, fill out Donation Frequency (One Time, Weekly, Monthly), and Fill Out Donation Start Date. You do not have to create a profile unless you want to. Hit the Continue button.
- Follow the prompts to enter credit card information (or bank account) and authorize.
- You can set up recurring weekly or monthly giving (which simplifies giving) and can be stopped at any time.
- This charges your credit card (or bank account), initiates a deposit directly into the church bank account, and updates your giving record.
To give by check:
- Place your check in your offering envelope and mail your offering to the church at:
13900 Burntwoods Road
Glenelg, MD 21737
- Or drop off your offering envelope directly in the mailbox near the church entrance.
The temporary notification states on GUMC’s homepage “The doors are temporarily closed but never our hearts and minds!” As Pastor Alice and others have recommended, we should reach out to friends and family and offer encouragement and aid, especially for those who live alone and/or are at higher risk. There are online prayer, bible study, and worship opportunities indicated on the church’s website http://glenelgumc.org/. We pray for health for you all and look forward to seeing you soon.
Peace and Blessings,
Don Cornwell Bruce Benner, Jr.
Treasurer Financial Secretary